David Leach (1911- 2005), the son of Bernard, became, like his brother Michael, a distinguished potter in his own right. Technically very accomplished, he probably had a greater interest in the processes and science of ceramics than his father. This helped him in establishing a well designed functional range at the Leach Pottery in St Ives, and led to his many experiments with bodies and glazes. In 1955 he set up his own pottery at Bovey Tracey, Devon, where he made a range of stately bottles, jars, bowls and chargers in stoneware, while developing more delicate work in porcelain. His fluted celadon was particularly memorable for its elegance and translucency, a true twentieth century interpretation of the Chinese and Korean traditions. Leach was an important educator. As well as helping to establish potteries at Aylesford and Dartington, he set up a ceramics department at Loughborough College of Art, and gave workshops internationally.